25 Lessons Upon A 25th Birthday
25 Lessons I Learned Upon Turning 25
& the amazing people / experience that sparked them
1. There is a lot of time wasted comparing ourselves to others - Fear of failure
2. If you don't listen to the compliments of strangers, the criticisms won't hurt you - Producer on The Bachelor
3. People will be dramatic in order to get a reaction from you, be a mountain - Bachelor in Paradise
4. Be more vocal - My old boss
5. It's ok to live a life that others don't always understand - Choosing an unconventional career path
6. You do not need to date strangers in order to receive a validation that is better served to come from inside yourself
- Every Dating App ever
7. Everyone needs an anchor, someone they can confide in - Living alone
8. Women have a powerful initial instinct that tells us if a man is right for us, but 9 times out of 10 we doubt ourselves
- My stick of cookie dough after a breakup
9. Find someone that makes you laugh & return the favor - All those days without laughter
10. You need to love yourself, before you can love someone else - The mirror on the wall
11. Find peace within yourself by creating an intention to focus on - my My Intent Project necklace
12. Be the surprise that reminds people that there is kindness in this world
- My New York neighbor that brought over a bottle of wine the day I moved into the building
13. A simple way to make people feel comfortable in front of a camera is to ask them something off topic like,
"What did you want to be when you were 5?" - Bearded UNICEF Producer I met in an airport once
14. Instead of asking, "what did you do today?" ask the "why" and "how did that make you feel?"
- Thirst for more meaningful conversations
15. Make quality time for those that matter - The 5 Love Languages book
16. Be someone who doesn't follow the herd, but leads it - Dad's advise before going on Paradise
17. Just because you are independent, doesn't mean you are mature - A long term ex-boyfriend
18. Make it a priority to build trust and respect with the entire team, not just those you directly report to - The office
19. Smile & be grateful always, there is always someone who has it harder than you do - Visiting where my mom grew up
20. If you look at every conversation as a pie, what percentage is made up of you talking? Everyone wants to feel heard and we can help if only we care to include them - Me overthinking a bit, but everyone deserves a slice :)
21. You become like the 5 people you spend the most time with, choose wisely. - Negative people no longer in my life
22. You will never regret a phone call or visit to your parents or grandparents - After losing a loved one
23. Even though it might subconsciously be your instinct, not everyone is innately against you. Trust in others.
- A book, I forget the title to...
24. Stay curious.